VIDEO: Setting up a custom domain with Wild Apricot: what can go wrong?
Setting up custom domains in Wild Apricot can be tricky. If all goes well you're good, but what if you don't know where to start? This video will show you how to find your registrar, which domain name settings you need to update and some final steps on what you can do for a successful launch.
A short recap:
- Setup DNS records you must have access to your control panel (GoDaddy, Wix, 1and1, etc). Use reset password if necessary to get access.
- Use WHOIS to check the registrar if you don't know where your domain name is registered
- Login and adjust the DNS records as per the Wild Apricot docs. The A record is absolutely critical to successfully launch under your domain name. If the DKIM records are not set your email may end up in your members junkmail folder.
- Wait for an hour or two for DNS records to propogate.
- Go to Settings > Site > Domain Name Management and click the Check... button. You should see this. If not continue to check your DNS settings or wait a bit longer.
Once verified, set your domain as the primary domain name.
Note that the From email address has changed. Make sure the From: and Reply to: email settings are set to a real mailbox that can send and receive emails. Your emails will be addressed by default with these settings!
Send a test email campaign to check your email settings are correct.